Most gems and precious metals, given reasonable care, can provide pleasure for centuries. On the other hand, one careless moment can ruin a gem forever.
Since each gemstone has its own quirks, different care can be necessary for the traits of each particular one. For example, a diamond is extremely scratch resistant, but more likely to chip than jade would be. Pearls and coral are susceptible to damage from chemicals and even ordinary perspiration, so should be wiped clean after each use.
The following tips will help your jewellery treasures last:
- Ensure proper fit.
- Remove jewellery before bathing, sleeping, housework, gardening, and sports. Swimming in a pool might make your diamonds sparkle, but chlorine will weaken the gold setting.
- Separate pieces for storage using soft, absorbent fabric to prevent scratches and tangles.
- Have adequate insurance, photos for reference, and keep jewellery appraisals at home as well as with the insurance company.
- Be gentle when cleaning, and make the process compatible with each specific type of jewellery. For instance, diluted ammonia works well for diamonds and durable minerals; but very mild soap and soft brushes are best for pearls (allow the pearl cord to dry completely on a flat surface).
- Take your valuables to a reputable jeweller every six months for professional cleaning and inspection.
Keep in mind, it is always less expensive to re-tip thin ring claws or tend to stretched chain links, than it is to replace a lost gem or necklace. Preventative maintenance is money well spent.
Premier Jewellers is pleased to employee a goldsmith who works exclusively with us. He has over 20 years of experience working with all sorts of jewellery and a variety of metals as well as creating custom made rings. If you are uncertain about whether something can be fixed or if you like a second opinion, please feel free to drop by our store. Estimates for repair are free of charge!